Description: Which is the key to love—passion or sensibility? Sensible Elly and romantic Maren are sisters trying to hold their family together in the wake of their father’s bankruptcy and death. As both unexpectedly encounter the madness and misadventures of love, they find out what true happiness means. This modern re-imagining of the Jane Austen favorite will capture your heart all over again.
My Review: I enjoy anything by Jane Austen, but Sense and Sensibility is one of my favorites. I think it’s because I relate so much to one of the characters. I’ll leave it for you to guess which one :). I’ve seen every variety of the movie and read the book several times, so I was excited to read this version.
I loved Jamison’s take on the tried and true tale. I expected it to be a little bit cheesy, because you have to admit that remakes sometimes are, but I was okay with that because, hey, I love a cheesy romance every now and then! However, Jamison’s Sense and and Sensibility was refreshingly sincere and surprisingly deep. The characters and their problems were real. And the way Jamison translated Elinor and Maryann’s experiences into modern day scenarios was interesting without being too contrived. I enjoyed the little twists she added to make the story her own.
I don’t want to say too much because I hate it when reviews give everything away, but I will say that I truly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it without hesitation! I don’t know how I didn’t know until recently that Rebecca Jamison also published Emma: A Latter-day Tale and Persuasion: A Latter-Day Tale as well! I intend on reading both of those ASAP.
You can purchase your own copy of Sense and Sensibiliy: A Latter-day Tale here or here.
Thank you for the review, Whitney.
ReplyDeleteI've read her Emma and Persuasion and really liked them. In fact, her Persuasion was the first edition of that story that I really really liked. I'm excited to find the latest and try it!
ReplyDelete