My guess is that if you are like me, and spend many of your waking moments thinking about/ researching adoption then you have already heard about some of the crazy proposed adoption bills going on right now. If you haven’t here’s a quick summary:
The bill in Oregon, HB 2904 will prevent a birthmom from placing her baby for adoption until it is eight days old. This will note be an option, but a requirement. The bill will also require the birth parents to attend six counseling sessions (three before placement, three after). If this requirement isn’t met, the birth parents cannot proceed with the adoption. The bill also requires a thirty day minimum period in which the birthparents can change their mind. She cannot waive the right to change her mind, the thirty day wait will be mandatory. The thing is, the current law already allows birthparents the options that the bill is trying to make a requirement. For a more in-depth explanation you can go here. There is also a bill in Idaho, HO499, which will change the present laws to allow birth fathers thirty days post placement to contest an adoption. You can read more about that one here.
Opposition to forever families continues to rise. I had never thought about the attack on the family as it pertains to adoption. But I certainly think about it now.
In other news, I don’t know if all of you hopeful adoptive couples know this, but http://www.hopingtoadopt.org is going to become a free adoption profile listing service as of March 1st. Hooray for one more way to get our names out there! Just thought I would spread the word.
Thank you so much for posting this! What a great resource!
ReplyDeleteThose 2 bills are very disturbing. Some birth moms who choose adoption are in situations where they fear for their safety and the baby's safety (because of the birth father). These types of bills seem to put the wants of the birth parents above the needs of a child.
ReplyDeleteAnd the "change your mind time period" that some states have always perplexed me because that always seemed like it would make things worse for EVERYONE involved. Let the signing itself be the decision-maker. If you're not sure, don't sign.
Hi Whitney,
ReplyDeleteI saw your comment and popped over and recognized you, but I couldn't figure out where. Then I remembered. Ashley from Feigning Fertility posted your awesome dance on her blog a few weeks back. :) You are adorable and your blog is so fun. I expect to be back here often!
Thanks for posting about these crazy laws. It truly is an attack on the family. Especially knowing the origin of the Idaho bill - a bitter, angry lawyer who is made she lost a case is behind it. It has nothing to do with what is right for the baby. Sigh.
Anyway, good luck with your adoption journey. I am excited to see what happens. :)
Oops. I accidentally left that comment under my other profile which isn't linked with my blog, so I deleted it and here it is under my correct profile.
ReplyDeleteHi Whitney,
I saw your comment and popped over and recognized you, but I couldn't figure out where. Then I remembered. Ashley from Feigning Fertility posted your awesome dance on her blog a few weeks back. :) You are adorable and your blog is so fun. I expect to be back here often!
Thanks for posting about these crazy laws. It truly is an attack on the family. Especially knowing the origin of the Idaho bill - a bitter, angry lawyer who is made she lost a case is behind it. It has nothing to do with what is right for the baby. Sigh.
Anyway, good luck with your adoption journey. I am excited to see what happens. :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteObviously I am having comment posting issues. Please don't mind me!
ReplyDelete