Monday, March 28, 2011

A Sight For Sore Eyes

001
I spent the most wonderful week watching my friends baby.  One day, after I put her down for a nap, I was looking around my usually really tidy living room.  The little toys and socks scattered all over the floor made me so happy.  The mess was evidence of fun time spent together.  Books were out because we had been reading stories.  A burp cloth was out because we had been playing peek-a-boo.  As strange as it sounds I can’t wait for my floor to be scattered with baby toys on a regular basis.  I long for the reminders that there is someone little and precious sleeping in the next room, more than I long for a perfectly clean house.  

4 comments:

  1. This is so true. When I would go to other peoples houses I would see all the baby stuff and wish my house could have all that. I cried the day we finally put Evan's carseat base into the car and kept turning around to see it. It never gets old having all the baby stuff around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. Baby stuff (and now toddler stuff) has taken over all my stuff. I love it. You can find binkies and fruit snacks in my purse. You can find one mismatched sock in my coat pocket. Toys in the bathtub. Books in the living room. Sippy cups in the cupboard. You can't go anywhere without running into evidence of a child. Her stuff has overrun my home and I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a lovely sight to see. It makes my heart happy every time I get to babysit my niece. No matter who messy it is afterwards, somehow I don't seem to mind. Tender post. Thank you Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whitney, thanks for your comment on my blog today. It's good to hear someone else struggles with clean livingrooms!

    I babysat a set of 15 month old twins and their 2 year old brother a couple of weeks ago and had the same happy feelings looking at the scattered toys all over my livingroom and kitchen. Their mom is with them 24/7 because her husband is in Iraq. Can you imagine three busy kids under three years old with zero family support? That would be hard. I was so grateful to spend those four hours with them! I loved cooking dinner with a toddler in my arms and having to be so careful not to let her touch anything hot. I loved listening to Jason read them stories and teach them farm animal sounds. One of these days it will last longer than a single evening.

    Thanks for reaching out. I've enjoyed reading your posts and letters. As much as I wish you didn't have to go through this, it's comforting to know you have gone through so many of the same feelings, prayers, and lessons.

    ReplyDelete