Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Special Men In My Life

dad3

I honestly have too much to write about today, so we will be breaking this up into a couple posts.  I just have too many good things to share about too many fabulous people. 

So, first up … drumroll please… MY DAD!

I have the best dad in the world.  Seriously.  THE BEST! 

He is one of the best listeners around.  When I lived at home, I loved riding in the car with him (even if it was just to run errands) because I LOVED having time to talk and enjoy his company.  Some of my favorite memories from growing up were just talking in the car.  Isn’t that interesting that one of the most mundane parts of my day (sitting in traffic) would end up being the most memorable?  But it’s because Dad always wanted to hear what I had to say and get my perspective on things.  He still does.  In so doing, he makes me feel important.  I love that about him. 

My dad has always been my number one fan.  When I wanted to try out for the basketball team, he was right out there in the driveway with me practicing layups.  Never mind that he hadn’t had much basketball experience himself.  He threw his whole focus into helping me reach my goals.  He told me I could do it.  And I did.  And you better believe that he was at every single one of my basketball games, cheering on the sidelines.  I was never the star player, or even close to it, but dad was always quick to point out my contributions.  

My dad is an amazing example of overcoming.  He has had several challenges in his life which he has met head on.  And yet he remains other-focused in spite of all of the things he has going on in his own life.  I want to be just like that.  I remember a particular instance where I had been struggling (when we were going through our failed placement).  I was crying to my dad on the phone and he humbly told me that he had fasted for me.  And you know what?  I felt the power of that fast.  I know it carried me through.  I believe there is particular power in prayer when it is offered on behalf of others.  I was so touched then, and the many other times my dad has approached Heavenly Father asking for blessings for me.  

Today, one of my favorite sights in the world is my dad holding my baby.  I love watching my daddy be a grandpa. 

dad

I can’t think of a better example for Mason to look to as he grows up.  That’s one of the many reasons we named him after my dad. 

I love you Dad!  Happy Father’s Day! 

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful post. You are one lucky lady to have such a faithful and incredible daddy!

    ReplyDelete