Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Update on Mason Bug

DSC00628
It’s time for an update on the Mason Bug! I have been trying so hard to make sure I keep up on Kellen’s updates every month, but I realized It’s been a few months since I wrote just about Mason.

Mason is at such a fun stage! He is so excited about life and is enthralled by the simplest joys. The two’s haven’t been so terrible at all so far. The biggest difference I have seen in the past few months has been in Mason’s efforts to test boundaries. He will hesitate to obey instructions (usually with a big impish smile on his face) while watching us to see at what point we’re going to start implementing consequences. Or he will decline to do things that we know he loves (like eat his dinner or get his shoes on so we can go), just so he can have the power of refusal. Oh, and he does NOT like to let me take his picture these days, which is a bit ironic because he loves looking at pictures of himself. I think it’s mostly that he just doesn’t want to be still long enough for me to snap a photo. In fact, the times he will willingly smile for a picture are when I am trying to take a picture of Kellen. Then he does this:
DSC00247
He has photo bombed so many pictures. Stinker.

But, those are the biggest typical “two” behaviors I can think of. Overall, he is just a happy kid and our days together are a lot of fun.

He still is very interested in doing whatever we are doing. He loves to help out if it’s an activity he can participate in, be it making something in the kitchen or taking care of Brother. And it it’s an activity that he’s still to young for (like mowing the lawn) he will watch with complete fascination. He is just so desperate to be big (all while I’m so desperate for him to stay small).
DSC00453
DSC00154DSC00336
Mason LOVES water. He has been taking swimming lessons and we have been so proud of him for being excited to try new things. He has learned a lot in just a couple weeks and has had a lot of fun doing it. He will jump in the water and paddle, blow bubbles, go all the way underwater, and float on his back with a little help from Mom or Dad. He needs more practice, obviously, but he is doing great.DSC00367
Mason also enjoys splash pads, our kiddie pool, the hose, and sprinklers, whether or not he’s in a swimsuit. The other day we were sitting on a park lawn enjoying shaved ice when the sprinklers came on. Spencer grabbed Kellen, I grabbed the camera, and Mason went dashing straight into the spray with a look of joy on his face. If there is water nearby, we absolutely cannot keep him out of it. He will be drenched head to toe in minutes.
DSC00397DSC00396
Mason still loves reading.
DSC00596DSC00062
And he’s recently picked up a new hobby: scrapbooking :). He likes to paste papers and place stickers while I work on Kellen’s baby book. I have tons of old scrapbooking supplies and scraps I have saved for this very purpose. It’s actually really fun that he’s old enough to create with me. I always have to have some or other creative project in process, and I’m so happy that he enjoys doing his little projects while I work on mine. Sometimes he’ll color, paint, or play with play dough during our “crafternoons” while Kellen naps.
DSC00275
His favorite toys currently are his cars, tractor, tools, blocks, and puzzles.
DSC00229DSC00230
It’s cute to see his imagination developing. Sometimes I laugh when I stumble upon the toys Mason has been playing with. There’s just something about seeing the result of his play when I’ve missed some of the process that makes it especially funny. Like here:
DSC00312
Or here:
DSC00033
Kellen and I both think it’s pretty cool to watch Mason play. We like to join him on the floor and vroom some cars around too.
DSC00495
Mason loves hats. People sometimes ask me how I get him to leave his hats on, but the thing is he just likes wearing them. His Mickey hat especially because he also happens to adore Mickey. He wants to wear that thing EVERYWHERE. He wears it around the house and has insisted on wearing it to the grocery store.
DSC00042DSC00040DSC00257DSC00254
IMG_3260DSC00071DSC00095DSC00218DSC00221IMG_3829
He really likes sunglasses too. He is always trying to steal mine! He does have a few pairs of his own (which he seems to always put on upside down).
DSC00032DSC00052DSC00050
Cool dude.
DSC00345
DSC00693
This guy has boundless energy and endless enthusiasm. He runs, never walks, everywhere we go. He is my little daredevil and I swear he’s going to give me heart attack someday. But I love him so.

2 comments:

  1. I about died laughing when I saw him scrapbooking. :) Does he sit still long enough to complete a layout? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So every single time I try to comment on you blog for some reason it just eats them :-( so we'll see if this works...but I love this so much! I enjoy so many of the same things every day with Evelyn and I love that you took pictures of funny ways his toys are rearranged, I love seeing that and getting a glimpse into their little minds! Love that he's wearing his daddy's slippers, love the huge blocks, and I laughed so hard at him photobombing Kellen while Kellen drools innocently in the background. Two of the cutest boys ever!!

    ReplyDelete