Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Make Your Own Comic Strip

Superkids big
I’m sure I’ve mentioned before how much my hooligans love pretending they’re superheroes. They spend so much time dashing around, saving the day and stopping the bad guys. So I thought it would be fun to make comic strips to give to family members as Christmas presents.

We had a little superhero photo shoot, and the boys got to wear capes and eat cookies, so they were particularly cooperative. They love looking at the little photo book I made with the pictures too, so I’d say the project was a big success.

If you’re curious how I got those photos to look all comic book-y, I actually used an online editing site called Picmonkey. They have an entire section of comic effects and stickers (including those word bubble ones) that added the exact look I was going for. You can pay a subscription to access certain features on the site, but you should be able to play around with the comic effects for free.

image

Since it’s kind of hard to read the individual squares, I posted them individually below, along with a smidgen of commentary from the director. 12
33aa3aaa4
The above shot was not staged. I was just watching them do their climb-all-over-everything-as-fast-as-possible kind of thing and caught the action shot :).
5a
6
This one KILLS ME. I asked him for a  tough face and that’s what he gave me. Unstoppable superhero… and his monkey. Please stay three forever.
7
8b
I must give credit where credit is due, Spencer came up with the cribtonite bit. I think it’s the cleverest part of the whole story.
9a
Mason climbs onto Kellen’s crib like this pretty much every day. He loves waking him up from nap. 10a
Words cannot express how delighted he was to eat cookies while sitting on the counter. He’s asked to do it a few times since then.
11.111a12
Though he’s not big into cuddling, this kid is always up for kisses. He gives the cutest, sweetest, soggiest smackaroos and I love it ever so much. And so far he isn’t opposed to receiving them either, so I’m gonna take advantage of that for as long as I can.
14
Kellen’s not wearing a cape for most of this because he HATES capes.
13a
IMG_3094
I think we’re due for a second … installment? episode? I’m not really up on my comic book lingo, I must confess.

Join us next time…

2 comments: