For the second time in a month, Whitney had an opportunity to spend some time with her family. A while back she helped her younger sister move into her dorm at BYU, and then headed home to California with her parents to help out while her Dad recovered from a pretty big surgery. For the past couple days, she's been at it again; she went to Utah to attend a conference for the Association of Mormon Counselors and Psychotherapists (AMCAP) with her mom, who is a counselor. While I hold no grudges against Whitney for leaving me behind (after all, I have that one thing...you know, work), I realize how glad I am that I've never had to live completely alone.
The first time Whitney was gone for more than two weeks, and one of our bishopric members looked at me and incredulously asked, "What are you going to do for food?!" as though I would be left no choice but to scavenge for scraps in the desert. Believe it or not, I have been able to conjure up three meals a day. Although I notice my meals tend to be in the living room, in front of an episode of something like "The Office," "Monk," or "Psych." Sitting at a table all alone in silence is weird to me, so I guess the tube makes it feel like someone's there.
Usually after we drop her off at the airport for something like that, Lizzy and I drive back home in a bad mood, because we know we're stuck with each other (and only each other) for the duration of Whitney's absence. Lizzy looks out the window longingly and gives large sighs, as though I can't hear them. But she does have a point. After all, when Whitney's gone, Lizzy has to take my schedule. That means sleeping from about 5 to midnight, then waking up for a brief period while I get ready for work, and then facing at least 8 more hours alone in a dark house while I'm at work. She no likey.
But then the pup tries to get fresh and wants to cuddle with me in bed. Me no likey.
Our house is also more echo-y when Whitney's gone. I tend to roll up the large rug in the living room and stash it in the closet because nobody's home to monitor Lizzy while I'm at work, if you know what I mean.
Most of all, when Whitters is gone, I realize how much I miss my best friend. I used to wonder if being around your spouse would become mostly just a habit after marriage, because, well, you live together. Now I know that no matter how long you've been married, you always WANT to be with them. They're your best friend in the world, and let's be honest -- life just isn't as fun when they're not around.
"Usually after we drop her off at the airport for something like that, Lizzy and I drive back home in a bad mood, because we know we're stuck with each other (and only each other) for the duration of Whitney's absence. Lizzy looks out the window longingly and gives large sighs, as though I can't hear them."
ReplyDeleteHahaha that made me laugh pretty hard - the dogs are fine when Mike goes to work but heaven forbid he ever leave the house for something other than work because then they both cry at the door and refuse to be comforted. I don't know how they know he's going to work or not but they know.
Such a great post! Thank you! This makes me so happy to see how fun and awesome and sweet marriage can be:)
ReplyDelete