Sunday, September 18, 2011

Best Date EVER

Saturday, Spencer announced that he had a surprise date planned and told me that I would want to bring my camera. 
We got in the car and drove for a stretch to finally arrive at Babby Farms!  Spencer has visited their location on a couple of occasions to film segments for the news.  It has kind of been my dream to visit there myself because Babby farms is home to a variety of super cool animals.  Many are the type of animals you would expect to find on a farm, such as: 
Shetland Ponies (they are BABIES!!!*):
*You should know that I use the term “babies” very loosely to refer to any animal that is cute and/or fuzzy and/or small and/or alive… as in most animals are, in fact, babies
horse1horse2
These little piggys (BABIES!):
pig1
The occasional, crazy-haired llama:
llama1
But Babby Farms is also home to a variety of more exotic animas such as:
Porcupine:
porquepine1
(He was actually much bigger than I though porcupines would be; he’s roughly the size of a barge.  Also, his name is Porky, which I thought was kind of cute and appropriate.  All of the animals at Babby have names, which I thought was quite cool.)
Coati:
coati1coati2
(This little fellow was a rascal.  I didn’t get a picture of it, but he loves bopping any farm dog that gets too close to his cage on the nose.  It’s pretty funny to watch.  As soon as we came up to his cage, he came running out to investigate.  Doesn’t he just look like a little troublemaker?  He’s cute though.  He’s a baby.)
Sloth:
sloth1
(We didn’t pet this guy.  Apparently he sometimes bites.  He moves in such slow motion that he usually doesn’t actually get a chance to sink his teeth in.  But we decided we’d rather not risk getting bitten by a sloth.  Though it would make a pretty cool story I guess.  Bragging rights, you know.)
The best part about Babby Farms though, was that we got to PLAY with all of the animals!  We got to pet everything, well, except the buffalo, wildcats, and sloth.  I especially enjoyed getting in the pens with all of the animals and taking their pictures.  I got some awesome shots. 
camel2(The animal pictured on top is called a “Spencer” ((pronounced STINK pot)).  Very rare.  Very exotic.  His natural habitat is among the rolling hills of Idaho.  His diet consists largely of fajitas.  He is a nocturnal creature, rarely seen in daylight.)
camel1deer2
Ok, here’s one of my favorites… BABY ZEBRA!  Her name is Zaza.  And she really IS a baby (according to any definition, not just mine).  And she was ADORABLE! 
lovezebra3
Can you even stand her cuteness? 
zebra1
GAH!  Me neither.  I was kind of having a heart attack she was so cute. 
zebra4
zebra2
Spencer even took a video of me with Zaza:
Whitney petting baby Zaza.
Here’s another of my favorites.  We got to play with George, the baby kangaroo.  He’s not full grown yet; red kangaroos can grow to be six feet tall or more. 
kangaroo1kangaroo2
I kind of loved him.  He kept trying to eat my clothes, but I loved him anyways.  Friends let friends eat their clothes. 
This is one of my favorite videos of the day.  George was getting kind of feisty, but I had been told how to handle him.  He seriously reminds me of a little kid throwing a tantrum.
Whitney takes on George
And last but not least:
The Kinkajou:
kinkajou1kinkajou2
Not to be confused with the lame anime critter:
pikachu
The kinkajou’s name is Mojo.  He was super friendly and cuddly.  Here’s a video of him hanging out on my shoulders. 
Kinkajou kisses
It was SO much fun to play with all of the baby animals.  A round of applause for Spencer for taking me on such a cool date! 

8 comments:

  1. What great pictures and what an awesome date! I love the zebras. The ponies remind me of this one time Shari and I decided to go running while Mike & Kevin took a longer run. The guys returned long before us and started to get worried so they went looking for us and found Shari & I standing by a field of ponies going "BABY!" over and over again. We must have been there fore 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO fun! What a great date! I loved seeing all the pictures of the babies! :) I can just hear you saying that by the way. BABIES! And it just makes me miss you oh so much! Romate reunion sometime in the next few years PLEASE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynley's sister Stephanie here --

    I love all of those animal babies, especially the zebra. So stinkin' cute!! The only "babies" we get here in Georgia are the occasional armadillo and a handful of deer. No zebras of kinkajous, though. *sigh* (Hey -- do kinkajous really smell like popcorn? Someone told me they did.) I also liked the pic of the exotic Spencer . . . ha ha! Amazing that you were able to snap that photo. :)

    P.S. Calling all animals "BABY!" is yet another reason you and Lynley get along so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently I need to drive over to the other side of the state just so I can go to Babby Farms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not seem to find any information on this place. Do you happen to have any or know if they are still in fact in business?

    Thank You,
    Brittney Eason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brittney-

    Baby Farms is actually privately owned, and what we were able to do was kind of unique. Spencer is friends with the owner, and that is why we were able to go play with the animals. But, unfortunately, it's not open to the public. They do sometimes take the animals out to public events to do shows, but that is the reason that you probably were unable to find any information on them.

    ReplyDelete