Monday, October 29, 2012

Trunk or Treat

009a

For Halloween, our ward had a “Trunk or Treat”/Hunger Walk.  Participants gathered at an outdoor track to walk/run laps (many in costume).  Canned food was donated as admission, and the activity ended with the children going trick or treating to all of the cars in the parking lot. 

Well, Spence and I love a good excuse to dress up, so we were excited.  We kind of had to redeem ourselves from the TERRIBLE costumes of last year.  We somehow put off coming up with something good and ended up deciding to be a tooth and a tooth fairy at the last minute.  I got the idea from some of my college roommates.  It wasn’t that the concept was dumb, because my roommates pulled it off spectacularly.  But by the time we got to the dollar store they were all out of white poster board, so I just wore a white T shirt and wadded foil on my head to look like a filling.  We just kind of wrapped Spence in tulle, taped some paper wings to his back, and topped it off with a foil crown we made in the car on the way over.  It was lame.  So lame we didn’t take a picture. Which I really regret now honestly because it would be great for a laugh. 

But this year.  This year would be different. 

We planned our costumes exuberantly.  I was SO excited to dress M up as a punkin’ that I about wet my pants.  I mean, come on.  Look at him.  We wanted our costumes to kind of match the theme of his (because I had planned on having my first baby dress as a punkin’ for roughly 18 years now), so we all dressed up as Jacks!  We were thinking how great it would be if we had a family of like 19, because there were so many good Jack costumes that we didn’t even get to use!  Jack Frost, Jack Sparrow, a car Jack, Jack be nimble, a toy Jack (you know that little game you play with the rubber ball), Cracker Jack, and Spence wanted to be Jack Squat.  Weirdo.  I wouldn’t let him. 

006

I was rather proud of our costumes: jack in the box, jack of hearts, and two little jack o’ lanterns.  Despite our snazzy ensemble, the activity wasn’t quite what we hoped for.  We ended up showing up kind of late because we had an activity in the morning that ran long.  It was windy and cold so we only walked one lap for hunger.  By the time we got to our car, the trick or treaters had already started making the rounds.  Pretty soon it started raining.  Our costumes were obviously not built to withstand such soggy conditions.  I watched Spencer waddle along as the suspenders keeping his box off kept popping off and I started laughing.  It was just a bit comical that we actually put a little bit of effort into this year, and it ended up being such a mess.  By that point M was cold. I was cold. Even Spence was cold because I had stolen his jacket.  Lizzy was having so much fun greeting the trick or treaters that I think she was the only one reluctant to finally just load up and go home.     

a

I did manage to snap a couple of pictures before we took M out of his costume.  They aren’t the greatest, but by that point he had had it, so we took what we could get. 

b

My favorite of the bunch:

025a

I photo shopped Spencer’s arm out because I thought it would look cuter.  Though after I did it I decided it maybe looks kind of funny that he’s seemingly so unsupported.  I thought I should let you know lest you think he’s perched precariously. 

In any case, it was a fun excuse to take pictures of the little punkin’.  I would do it all over again if it meant he got to wear that costume one more time. 

4 comments:

  1. I love your costumes! Little M is the cutest pumpkin ever! I'm sad to hear how the rain ruined your fun but glad you got some cute pictures! Although thanks for the explanation about the last one...I was about to go on and on about what impeccable balance M has! :)
    P.S. I feel very flattered to know that your costumes last year were inspired by us!
    P.P.S. remember when we were all old men for Halloween? That was so epic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! He is definitely the cutest pumpkin ever! And I love the Jack theme. I kind of want to make Jack dress up in some sort of Jack costume every year. Last year he was JackJack from the incredibles. :) This year isn't a Jack costume though... maybe next year! Also, I really wish I could see Spencer as the tooth fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever!! I love every single costume!! I just think you guys are the cutest family ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea whitney!! And M is the CUTEST pumpkin ever!! I love his cheeks.:)

    ReplyDelete