Monday, March 24, 2014

One Month Old Already!

This past month has been the fastest of my life. Easily. I felt Mason’s babyhood went by so quickly, but I’m discovering that Kellen’s is going by even faster. So I wanted to record some details about what Kellen is like right now before he gets any bigger and I forget what it was like when he was only a month old.
A
Temperament- Kellen is just the sweetest, calmest baby. He was like that right from day one and while we were in the hospital we wondered if it would last. He obviously is little yet, and I’m sure he’ll be a fiery little busybody in no time, but in the meantime he is the most mellow newborn I have ever seen. He is so content and so easy to calm. He is very patient and slow to cry when he’s waiting for us to mix his bottle or when he’s experiencing something he dislikes (like a cold wipe for a diaper change). He obviously loves to cuddle, but recently loves to be facing outwards. He likes to see what’s going on around him and has grown to resist being tucked under my chin like he used to love so much at first, preferring to rest in the crook of my arm the better to observe Brother’s antics.  

Other attributes- Kellen is actually quite strong and can resist diaper changes or folding for burp with a strength that is surprising for such a little guy! And he can bust out of his swaddles like nobody’s business. Seriously, there’s no Velcro that can hold him (which can be problematic because he sometimes whaps himself in the face and then gets sad). He can hold his head up really well and seems to somewhat enjoy tummy time. He is already losing some of his hair, and the very little peach fuzz he has on his head actually has some curl to it. He has very light hair, eyebrows, and lashes which surprised us a bit since fair coloring is obviously a recessive trait and Serena has very dark hair and eyes. He has very very dark blue eyes that are almost grey and we wonder if they’re going to change color.   
013
Sleeping- Kellen is a good little sleeper. For the first several weeks he slept a lot during the day, but still slept well at night so we didn’t have much of a schedule going. Only recently has he started trying to wake up for longer stretches at night (the four o’clock hour seems to be his favorite party time), so we’ve been trying to have set nap/wake schedules during the day. This seems to have helped, and he’s sleeping awesome at night again. But it is NOT easy to keep him awake during the day. He can sleep through anything, he really can (the vacuum. Lizzy barking, Mason yelling at the top of his lungs etc…). It’s actually a really good thing that he sleeps so soundly (especially because our house is pretty dang noisy a lot of the time), it just makes it harder to keep him awake for more of the daylight hours . We have taken to doing bath time in the morning because that wakes him up a bit and he seems to like kicking in the water. All in all, I know we’re really lucky that he sleeps so well and it’s been nice that so far we’ve been able to align schedules so that both boys take a nap at the same time.
DSC01222
DSC01219
Eating- Kellen is a good eater as well, but we do have to work to keep him awake to finish his bottles! He is up to eating about four ounces about every two and half hours during the day, and he goes longer than that at night. He is a good burper and rarely ever spits up. This was so surprising for us because Mason was such a spitter-upper-kid! Kellen can wear the same outfit pretty much all day, whereas Mason would go though half a dozen outfits or more. It’s not a bad thing either way really. It’s nice to not have to change Kellen so much, but I have found he’s outgrowing clothes he never even got to wear because he only wears an outfit a day usually! It’s just interesting for me to notice and remember differences between my boys because really all I have to compare my current experience with Baby Boy to is what I went through with Mason. Perhaps that’s another post for another day.
DSC01243
Kellen takes a sensitive brand of formula since he does not seem to tolerate regular formula. We knew that his birthfather had a reaction to regular formula when he was a baby, so we weren’t surprised when Kellen had a reaction to regular formula as well. Once we switched, he was able to eat without any problems. And he is developing some very adorable chub.

Oh and he used to do this adorable thing where he would only open one eye and look at you while he was eating his bottle. It was kind of like “I want to see who’s holding me right now, it’s just that I’m not sure I can muster up the energy to open both eyes.” He doesn’t do that as much anymore, but it always made us laugh when he would just open one little peeper.

Visitors- Kellen got to meet so many birth family members while he was in the hospital, and since we’ve been home Kellen has had many visitors (and more still to come in the very near future!). It has been so fun to introduce him to friends and family. We’re excited to introduce him to many more family members in the coming weeks and months.

Kellen meeting Grandma for the first time (my mom came out to watch Mason while we were out of town for Kellen’s birth):007026Grandpa White (or as Mason calls him, “Pa”) came out for a visit:
010
013
004
Man, do we love our Kellen Kiddo. We just can’t get enough of him!
DSC01244
(We don’t ever sleep with Kellen, and of course he doesn’t sleep with blankets either, I just slipped him in next to daddy while they were both taking a nap because my tuckered out boys were so darn cute! )

We literally cannot stop kissing him. That perfectly fuzzy, soft, adorable little peach head!
005a
112a
Even Mason kisses him gently on the head quite often, usually without us every telling him to. He just loves to give Brother loves:
bro2
He really is such a good big brother, and in general is very gentle with Brother (though of course he’s a toddler and occasionally needs reminders). Mason is actually very sweet with Kellen and I’m proud of the way he’s adjusted so well.
004
Matching denim jackets. I die:
DSC01180
DSC01200
Well, I’m obviously still have a lot of posting to catch up on (Mason’s due for an update next; I can’t BELIEVE I’m going to have a TWO year old), but it’s late and I better toddle off.
DSC01186
Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Whitney! I was going to say how much I loved the photos of him in the bear suit but as I kept reading I kept finding more and more pictures I love! He seems so sweet!!!! You are a mama to two!!!!! Do you just pinch yourself some days?! Also, I'm glad he is mostly a good sleeper and that you've been able to align nap times. You need a break to relax! :) love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The matching denim! I can't handle it...the matching supermen are all so cute too. I can't believe that picture of Mom changing his diaper, he looks so so small! It's hard to remember that babies actually come that small. Can't wait to meet the little cherub!

    ReplyDelete